You probably already had a cold and a cough once, but did you know that your animal can also get sick from it? Yes, our four-legged friends can catch a cold. Especially in wet and cold weather this happens more often.
How can you tell if your animal has a cold?
- Running nose
- Sore throat
- Tearing Eyes
- Loss of appetite
- Fever (over 39°)
These symptoms may occur alone or in combination.
What can you do now?
If your darling is sick you have to go to the vet with him. All these symptoms can of course have other reasons. If your vet has confirmed a cold you can help your pet additionally:
- Rest, avoid stress
- Keep warm (maybe a red light lamp will be accepted, don’t force your darling to and place it at a distance)
- Shorter walks. If it is cold a coat or a scarf or loop would be useful.
- Easily digestible wet food. Nothing to chew on, as the throat is additionally irritated.
- Warm tea with some honey. Depending on the symptoms, sage or mallow can help.
- Sufficient liquid, fresh (not too cold) water
- Avoid irritating substances such as scents, smoke, sprays, ….
- Install a humidifier or hang wet laundry on the heater.
- Inhale: To do this, it is best to put your pet in a transport box, place the pot of hot salt water (boil water + salt) in it (out of reach of the paws) and place a blanket over it. You can also take your pet to the bathroom if you take a warm shower. Inhalation should last 3-10 minutes.
- Do not lead by collar
- Medicines exclusively from the veterinarian. Human preparations can harm your animal considerably!
How can you prevent?
- Animals without undercoat should wear a coat or scarf in cold and wet weather.
- Your pet should not go into the cold beeing wet. After the walk it would be good if you dry your pet well.
- Don’t let your darling eat snow or frozen stuff.
- When grooming should avoid complete shearing.
- Strengthen the immune system. Regular walks and a balanced diet help to keep your darling fit.
- Make sure that your pet has a warm place to hide and does not sleep in the wind (e.g. in front of an open window).
Our animals can catch a cold too. Go to the vet and clarify the symptoms. Afterwards you have to wait and see and drink tea. Until your darling is fit again you may spoil him and take care of him. Get well soon!