In summer we like to eat some ice cream. Our four-legged friend sits next to us with big eyes and would love to nibble on it. How you can easily make a dog ice cream yourself? Here you will find delicious recipes.
Can’t my dog just eat my ice cream?
No! Because in most cases the ice cream contains sugar, which is harmful to animals. Some ice creams are also made with birch sugar (xylitol), which can even be fatal for your dog.
What is still unhealthy or even poisonous for the dog, you can find here: What is poisonus and dangerous for cats and dogs.
Tastes are known to vary. In principle, everything that your darling can tolerate and likes is allowed. Fruits (banana, berries, watermelon, apricots, …), vegetables (carrots, beetroot, zucchini, potatoes, …), hearty (liverwurst, rumen, muscle meat, yoghurt, cheese, …)
Dog ice cream recipes:
- Air Kiss: Puree watermelon, raspberries and some natural yoghurt and fill up.
- Sausage on a stick: Liver sausage or also wet food with cottage cheese and, if necessary, water puree and fill up.
- Paw Power: Let the oat flakes soak in warm water for about 10 minutes, puree and fill with coconut flakes, blueberries, a teaspoon of peanut butter and, if necessary, oat milk or water.
- Cool Banana: Puree banana, curd cheese, apple, psyllium husks and fill up.
You see, it is very easy and there are no limits to your creativity.
It is important to feed the ice cream only under supervision and not to use poisonous food.
What to fill in
You can now fill the pureed mass. The best way to do this is to use a fillable dog toy (e.g. Kong), close the hole at the bottom with cheese or something similar, fill in the ice cream mixture at the top, place it in a glass (so that nothing is spilled) and put it in the freezer for 1-2 hours.
You can also use ice moulds to make a popsicle.
Enjoy your dog ice creme
The disadvantage of popsicles is that sensitive dog stomachs can react to the cold with inflammation and vomiting. That’s why it’s important that your pet licks his dog’s ice cream slowly and doesn’t eat it up in one. By licking it out, for example with the Kong, he is not only busy for a while, he also gets only little out of it and can warm it up a little by licking it.
Advantages of selfmade dog ice cream:
- Cooling down! Since dogs hardly sweat at all, this refreshment is just right.
- Individual ingredients composition.
- You know what is in it.
- Food supplements, such as green-lipped mussel extract for the joints, can be elegantly hidden in it.
- Great reward.
- Occupation for hot days.
You can read about how to get your dog over the summer even better here: Summer, Sun, Heat & Dog
Even dogs love ice cream in summer. With a homemade dog ice cream you can give your darling a treat. So he no longer has to watch you eating ice cream, but you can enjoy the summer treats together.