About authors

Image of partner

Nathalie Sari - Tiertraining & Verhaltensberatung

This article was written by TOBALIE in cooperation with Nathalie Sari - Tiertraining & Verhaltensberatung

You want to spoil your darling with food, toys and Co.? Have you ever thought that you are not doing him any good? That’s right, because many products for our pets contain a lot of harmful substances. Find out here how you can make your pet happy and keep it healthy.

Poisonous dog toys, that’s isnt funny anymore.

The VKI (Association for Consumer Information) tested in 2013, in the study “Dog Toys: Pollutants” paws away! 18 different plastic dog toys and found in all very questionable substances. They contained a high polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbon (PAH) concentration, which can be carcinogenic as a plasticizer. Bisphenol A and DEHP (di-ethylhexyl phthalate) are also associated with diabetes, infertility, cardiovascular problems and cancer. The so-called CMR substances distinguish a product as carcinogenic, toxic to reproduction or mutagenic and were found in all tested products. They are absorbed through the mucous membrane and are therefore particularly dangerous for animals and children.

The good news is there are toys without chemical cocktails! Some brands produce safe organic dog toys which are free of harmful substances and therefore good for the environment and animals.

Banner App

What comes into the bowl?

You would think that pet food from the trade is good for the animal. But unfortunately far missed. Which terms can mislead you, what has nothing to do in food at all and on which sales meshes the feed industry relies:

– Without the addition of preservatives, means the manufacturer himself has added nothing more. However, this does not mean that the purchased raw materials do not contain any additives.

– Chickenmeatflour is pure, dehydrated meat

– Chickenflour consists of slaughterhouse waste and by-products

– Meat and animal by-products 4% beef, means 4% beef (which parts or only slaughter waste is irrelevant), the remaining 96% of the feed are cheap ingredients of unknown origin, including cereals, meat meal of various animals, sugar, …

– Animal by-products: Offal, organs, feathers, horns, fur, beaks, hooves, claws, bones, blood and anything not fit for human consumption. Ingredients from category 3 of rendering in animal feed are permitted. (Category 1 – sick, infested or contaminated pet zoo circus animals and experimental animals. Category 2 – sick, drug-polluted, poorly controlled animals, as well as embryos and much more. Category 3 – Waste and by-products from slaughterhouses, stress-loaded animals, and much more)

– Vegetable by-products: mostly waste from the grain industry, such as plant flours, grain shells, bread and pasta residues, …

– Raw ash indicates the incombustible, indigestible portion. This should not exceed 3.5% for high-quality food.

– Colourings, flavour enhancers, aromas, sugar, dextrose, sucrose, glucosamine, by-products, animal flour, chemical preservatives should never be in any food!

– With beef taste means less than 4% beef

– Contains beef means at least 4% beef must be present

– Beef/bovine meal/bovine menu contains at least 26% beef

– Rich in beef/extra beef/large beef means that at least 14% beef must be included.

– Beef pure/pure beef means 100% beef, additives and water may be included

You see all the tricks are used to advertise the cheapest food, healthy. The ingredients are often inaccurate and many are not even on the package. Unfortunately, its the health of our pets that is played with here. So pay attention to the small print when buying.


The market is huge and there are countless products for pets whose usefulness is questionable. From costumes, films, sex toys and fragrance sprays for our animals, everything is included. Through the humanization of the animals more and more bizarre products are found, which no animal needs and serves only the entertainment of humans.

As a consumer it is difficult to deal with all these issues and to distinguish good from bad or even harmful products. Therefore there is now the first species-appropriate online shop. Here you do not have to worry about whether the products could be harmful for your darling. The TOBALIE online shop exclusively offers health-promoting and high-quality products. Each article is selected by experts, in order to be able to offer only the best to your animal.


It is not so easy to keep track of the variety of products. A lot of what is sold for animals is not only superfluous, but partly even harmful. The TOBALIE online shop pays attention to quality and provides your darling with everything he/she needs for a healthy and happy life. Your pet trusts you, trust TOBALIE. That’s how easy species-appropriate online shopping is.